Top Ad

Monday, July 06, 2015

Kenyon Carter - "Game On" - Release 8/14, Title Track Featuring Chuck Loeb - #Jazz

Inspired saxophonist is determined to step up to the bigs with a new album due August 14; the energetic and impassioned title track, "Game On" featuring guitarist Chuck Loeb, heading to radio.

Driven to overcome the serious injuries sustained in a violent car crash that could have been the devastating knockout blow to his dream of a career in music, saxophonist Kenyon Carter rallied and rebounded from the life-altering accident with renewed purpose, tenacity and patience. That focus has him poised on the precipice of a career breakthrough with the forthcoming "Game On," a spirited ten-song contemporary jazz workout written and produced by Carter that CurvePoint Media will release August 14 prefaced next month with the servicing of the title track as a radio single, a propulsive track highlighted by a dazzling display of frenetic tenor sax and feisty fretwork from guitarist Chuck Loeb.

Carter's right arm was mangled in the crash and doctors didn't know if the broken appendage with severe radial nerve damage would ever function normally again. With the aid of a specially-designed therapy glove, the musician persevered through eight tedious and trying months of hours upon hours of daily practice to relearn how to play the sax. During the lengthy recovery process and subsequent return to function and form, Carter continued to teach others to play, but rarely performed in public. In time, he phased out teaching to go "all in" on pursuing his own recording and performing goals. After issuing two modestly successful and critically-hailed collections - "Right By My Side," which received an abundance of contemporary jazz airplay on the strength of three charting singles, and last year's "Songs For My Father," an offering of gospel hymns given fresh jazz arrangements that debuted at No. 4 on the iTunes Top Jazz Albums chart - Carter has taken his game to the next level on "Game On" by elevating his adept heart-and-soul horn play and bolstering his production and songwriting fitness.

"I once heard someone talk about their recording projects as ‘snapshots' in time. My first album was written as I was falling in love with my wife and the second was a tribute to my late father. ‘Game On' is the next snapshot in my life, a decision to really go for it musically and hold nothing back. While my injury definitely changed the course of my life, it didn't define me or hold me back. It was unbelievably scary to think that I would never play saxophone again, but I know I was given a second shot at life and I'm grateful to have gained the clarity to pursue what I really want in life - both personally and professionally. ‘Game On' is an honest musical snapshot that combines my love for pop, R&B, funk, etc. with my favorite elements of the straight-ahead jazz tradition and I'm very proud of it. I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to write and play this music and to record it with the world-class musicians who helped make this project come alive."

Carter's band spotlighted on "Game On" is guitarist Billy Wilkie, keyboardist Tyrone Jackson, bassist Tim Aucoin, drummer John David, trumpeter Brent Whiten and trombonist Richard Sherrington. While Carter & Company labored in the studio, the jazz-funk party starter "Jammin' On Juniper" was released to radio and instantly achieved Most Added status on the Billboard chart in its debut week.

The songs in the "Game On" lineup are:

"Game On" featuring Chuck Loeb
"Just A Smile"
"Going Home"
"Sea of Abaco"
"Jammin' On Juniper"
"Moving Forward"
"Wine On Eight"
"Lights Down Low"
"In This Moment"
"Here We Go"
"Game On" radio edit


For more information, please visit www.KenyonCarter.com.

Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com
Bookmark and Share

No comments: